Older Adults Benefits
North Shore Senior Center has trained volunteers to assist older adults in applying for and maintaining public entitlements. Individuals are screened for programs that may provide financial assistance or services. The following programs are not fee-based, but some financial and demographic guidelines may determine eligibility.
Free AARP Tax Aide Assistance—All appointments are full
Please click the links below for alternate locations providing free tax preparation services:
LIHEAP Appointments Available
If you need help with gas and/or electric utility bills, call 847.784.6040 to check eligibility and schedule an appointment.
Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
Questions about Medicare?
SHIP counselors are available to help by phone or Zoom. Counselors provide information and guidance about:
- signing up for Medicare at age 65 or due to disability
- health coverage after retirement
- understanding Medicaid, MMAI and HealthChoice Illinois
- high prescription or healthcare costs
SHIP is a free statewide health insurance counseling service for Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers. SHIP was initiated in the fall of 1988 within the Illinois Department of Insurance. SHIP currently has 186 offices throughout the state, and has more than 600 volunteer counselors. All offices are volunteer-based and supported by local sponsoring organizations that offer services to Medicare beneficiaries.
North Shore Senior Center is one of these organizations. We have more than a dozen SHIP volunteers who meet with seniors in both our Northfield and Niles offices. There is no charge to meet with a SHIP counselor.
- SHIP is not affiliated with any insurance company.
- SHIP counselors do not sell or solicit any type of insurance.
- SHIP counselors are trained to educate consumers and answer questions about Medicare, Medicare Supplement, long-term care insurance, Medicare HMOs, private fee-for-service and other health insurance. They also can organize and assist in filing Medicare and Medicare Supplement claims and analyze Medicare supplement and long-term care policies.