Volunteer with Us
When you choose to donate your time and talents as a North Shore Senior Center volunteer, you are taking part in a tradition that dates back to our founding in 1956.
Whether behind the scenes, interacting with members and guests, or out in the community, volunteers play a pivotal role in our operations and success.
Why Volunteer With Us?
As a volunteer, you support our mission of fostering the independence and well-being of older adults. We have more than 250 volunteers who provide countless hours of support to keep NSSC vibrant and working efficiently. So, please join us as a volunteer!
- You can help create a welcoming place for seniors to gather, socialize, and participate in our Lifelong Learning programs and clubs
- You can also assist our Senior & Family Services staff as they work with older adults and their families
- Or, you can dedicate your time to benefit our House of Welcome Adult Day Services for people with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of memory loss
- Virtual volunteer opportunities are also an option!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Telephone Surveys: We are looking for a volunteer with excellent phone skills to come to the Center on Tuesdays or Thursdays to conduct telephonic surveys. This would be a short-term commitment.
- Fitness Center Desk Assistant: If you’re friendly and outgoing, this would be the perfect spot for you! Greet participants, answer the phone, and help with filing or copying. We are looking for individuals on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. and on Wednesdays from 9:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m..
- Friendly Visitor: The volunteer will provide elderly, isolated Senior and Family Services clients with at home visits. The option of “visiting” them remotely (via phone) is also available, however in-home visits are preferred. The goal is to engage seniors in weekly chats that provide social interaction. Training will be provided. The commitment is weekly, but timing is flexible.
- House of Welcome Program Volunteer: Volunteer will assist staff with group activities such as art or trivia, spend one-on-one time with participants or help with lunch. Shifts are 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. or 1 - 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- House of Welcome Lunch Volunteer: Help serve lunch to HOW participants and interact with them. Training provided. Shift is 11:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. on Monday or Wednesday.
- House of Welcome Pet Therapy Volunteer: Volunteers bring their certified animal to visit HOW for 15-20 minutes once or twice a month. Information and training on the program’s specific needs will be provided.
- House of Welcome Music Volunteer: Music volunteers provide music experiences such as concerts (piano onsite) or singing once or twice a month. Information and training on the program’s specific needs will be provided.
We can match your talents, experience, and schedule to a volunteer role that brings you—and those you help—great satisfaction. We offer regular, flexible, and one-time volunteer opportunities in our Northfield and Niles locations as well as out in the communities we serve.
North Shore Senior Center does not discriminate against any person served, person employed, or person seeking employment based on age, sex, race, color, disability, ethnicity, national origin, genetic information, religious tradition or spiritual practice. If you feel that you have been discriminated against, call the Senior Help Line at 800.252.8966 or 888.206.1327 (TTY).