The Review: A Literary & Arts Journal
The Review is a juried arts and literature journal composed of beautifully written prose, thoughtful essays, eye-catching photography, and innovative artwork created by members of North Shore Senior Center. Distributed in the fall of each year through Lifelong Learning, the journal is juried and published by a volunteer editorial board composed of NSSC members.
Originally created by members of the Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI) when it was located at National Louis University, The Review is now produced in NSSC’s Lifelong Learning department by the editorial board and is funded through donations.
All NSSC members and 2020 LLI members are welcome to submit their unpublished writings, artwork, or photography for consideration to be included in The Review. Digital submissions of Prose, Poetry, and Art & Photography will be accepted via email from April 1 to May 26, 2022.
Making a Submission
- All current NSSC Members and 2020 LLI Members are welcome to submit works for consideration.
- Each individual may submit up to three entries per category – Prose, Poetry, or Art & Photography. A maximum of three entries total may be accepted for inclusion in The Review. For example, you could enter three (3) poems, three (3) photos and three (3) prose pieces but only a total of three (3) of these in any combination will be accepted for the final publication and only two in one category. The purpose is to include works from as many people as possible.
- Only previously unpublished work will be accepted.
There is a $10 submission fee per person to include up to three entries per category. You may make your payment online here or at the Lifelong Learning office at NSSC.
- All submissions must be made by email. Hardcopies cannot be accepted
- Your email should include your:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Brief 30-word biography
- Submission category (Prose, Poetry, Art & Photography)
- Title of work
- For photographs, indicate vertical and horizontal orientation
Submission Category Information
- Includes Fiction, Non-Fiction, Memoirs, Essays, and Plays
- Each piece is limited to 2,500 words
- Must formatted in MS Word, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font
- Email prose submissions to Ward Bartlett, Prose Copy Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be formatted in MS Word, single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font
- Length limited to one printed page
- Email Poetry submissions to Susan Chertkow, Poetry Editor at email@example.com
Art & Photography
- Submissions of photography or photos of artwork/textiles/fiber crafts should be formatted as jpeg files with 600 dpi, clear and sharp, and sized to 8.5 by 11 inches, with one length of the photography at least 10 inches.
- Please be aware that an exact duplication of an art/photo in The Review cannot be guaranteed due to the printing process.
- Email Art & Photography submissions to Rhonda Milkowski, Art & Photography Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recognition will be given to the best of Prose and Poetry. The best of Art & Photography will appear on the front cover of The Review.
Once submissions are received:
- All submissions are reviewed by respective juries as blind copies.
- If selected, submissions will be edited in conjunction with the author or artist.
- Once content is finalized, The Review will go into publication.
- All selected submitters will receive one print copy of The Review. Copies will also be made available to NSSC Members, and additional copies will be for sale in The Shop at the Center.
The REVIEW Editorial Board
Ivan Berk, Managing Editor
Meredith Hellestrae, Associate Editor
Rochelle Singer, Liaison for The Review
Ward Bartlett, Prose Copy Editor
Carole Einhorn, Poetry Copy Editor
Judy Holstein, Prose Editor
Susan Chertkow, Poetry Editor
Rhonda Milkowski, Art/Photo Editor
Lifelong Learning at NSSC and The Review Editorial Board look forward to producing an excellent literary and arts publication and to the participation of the entire NSSC community!