- 2021 Posts
- "Indulge Your Holiday Guests with Local Treats!"
- Navigating the Holidays with a Family Member Living with Dementia
- NSSC Awarded Top Workplace Second Year in a Row
- "Treat Yourself to a Life-Changing Home Appliance"
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Just Start Walking
- Executive Director: Gala Postponed until Spring 2022
- Caregiver Specialists: Your Personal Guide Along Care Journey Path
- Putting Your Right Shoe Forward
- Executive Director: Face Coverings Required Starting August 2
- How to Get Started Refreshing Your Home
- Why it's Important to Have a Will
- "Senior Scams" featured in Caregiving magazine
- Executive Director: What you can expect at NSSC starting Jun 14
- The Shop at the Center: The North Shore's Best Kept Secret
- Bridge Phase Update: A Message from the Executive Director
- Do’s and Don’ts as You Re-Enter Stores
- Easing Their Way Back: How NSSC members are slowly returning to pre-pandemic normalcy
- Medicare and COVID-19
- Ways Caregivers Can Strengthen Connections & Reduce Loneliness
- Easing Your Way Back to Normal
- A Change in Seasons Can Bring a Change in Moods
- New Act Provides Relief for Pandemic Weary Individuals
- Something to Think About
- Do I Hear an Echo? Smart Home Devices Can Make Life Safer and Easier
- "Senior Financial Abuse" as featured in Caregiving Magazine
- Annual Report - FY20
- 2021 New Year Message from Executive Director
- "The U-Shaped Happiness Curve"
- "Everyone Has a Story to Tell. Are You Ready to Share Your Life Story?"
+ 2020 Posts
- "Maximize Your Personal Connections and Minimize the Holiday Blues"
- "Resilience & Aging"
- Self-Care Tips for the Family Caregiver
- Sharing Gratitude During Thanksgiving from Our Executive Director
- NSSC Awarded Chicago Top Workplace
- 'Exercise’ Your Commitment to Stay Fit During Pandemic
- How the End of Daylight Saving Time Affects People with Dementia
- Lifelong Learning Virtual Experience: The Next Best Thing to Being at the Center
- Join us for Gala 2020: Unmasked
- Permission Granted: Time to Host the Perfectly Imperfect Wedding
- North Shore Senior Center Featured in Caregiving Magazine!
- What Does 'Medicare for All' Mean?
- Opening Day Slated for July 6!
- North Shore Senior Center Keeps Older Adults And Their Families Connected
- June 15 Update on Center Reopening
- An Open Letter from the Executive Director
- Initial Plans to Re-Open Center
- HSS & Sewa International Donate Masks to NSSC
- May 14 Update from the Executive Director
- The CARES Act Brings Many Changes for Individuals and Businesses
- May 7 Update from the Executive Director
- April 30 Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating our Volunteers and Senior & Family Services: A Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating Our Successes: A Message from the Executive Director
- Message from the Executive Director on HOW Programs
- Winnetka Talk: North Shore senior centers turn to technology to connect and entertain
- Message from the Executive Director
- An Update from our Executive Director & Free Online Classes
- A Note to the North Shore Senior Center Community
"Treat Yourself to a Life-Changing Home Appliance"October 27, 2021
by Caron Blitz
What’s powerful, flexible, and something you will come to cherish on a nearly daily basis?
Drumroll, please: a Dyson vacuum.
Ask around and you will get the same response when folks tell you how their lives have changed after replacing their older, heavier, clumsier vacuums with newer versions of lightweight, cordless ones like the Dyson.
NSSC’s Amy Krause put it best, “It’s fascinating and mortifying at the same time to see how much ‘stuff’ the Dyson collects in the removable canister.” Other friends who border on being compulsive when it comes to housekeeping are astounded to see what they pick up in areas they thought were already clean.
As you read this, you may be wondering if Dyson is paying me for this favorable promotion. Nope. Not a dime.
When my family gave me a Dyson as a birthday gift, I have to admit I was underwhelmed. Little did I know how it would be among my most favorite presents.
Multiple Tools Make Cleaning a Breeze
Whether you do the vacuuming or have someone else who does, this one appliance is a necessity for all households, especially with heightened awareness on cleanliness and safety due to COVID. Multiple attachments can be used for wood floors, carpet, upholstery and more. It easily reaches in narrow spaces, like underneath beds and heavy dressers. The top section of the Dyson can even be removed and used as a handheld vacuum like a “Dustbuster.” And your back will thank you since it is so lightweight.
Our dog Louie is an adorable Goldendoodle, a breed that has become popular for their friendly disposition and because they do not shed. Well, Louie did not get the message. He sheds. But thanks to the Dyson, we do not hold it against him and can easily scoop up his little furballs in minutes.
Other Brands to Consider
While I am personally familiar with the Dyson brand, there are others to consider like Shark, Hoover, and Bissell. Compare the run time (before needing a recharge), tools, bin capacity, and power modes. Local retailers that carry lightweight, cordless vacuums include Costco, Abt, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Target.
The price of a Dyson Cordless Stick Vacuum ranges from $379 to $599. As the holidays draw near you can expect to see sales. Most major retailers will price match.
As a 60+ Savvy Shopper living in Riverwoods, Caron Blitz knows what folks our age look for in products and is always on the hunt for “fun finds” and the best values. For future columns, she’d love to hear what you, The Shopper, would like us to feature. If you are a retailer, let us know what special products and services you offer for older adults.