- 2021 Posts
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- A Change in Seasons Can Bring a Change in Moods
- New Act Provides Relief for Pandemic Weary Individuals
- Something to Think About
- Do I Hear an Echo? Smart Home Devices Can Make Life Safer and Easier
- "Senior Financial Abuse" as featured in Caregiving Magazine
- Annual Report - FY20
- 2021 New Year Message from Executive Director
- "The U-Shaped Happiness Curve"
- "Everyone Has a Story to Tell. Are You Ready to Share Your Life Story?"
+ 2020 Posts
- "Maximize Your Personal Connections and Minimize the Holiday Blues"
- "Resilience & Aging"
- Self-Care Tips for the Family Caregiver
- Sharing Gratitude During Thanksgiving from Our Executive Director
- NSSC Awarded Chicago Top Workplace
- 'Exercise’ Your Commitment to Stay Fit During Pandemic
- How the End of Daylight Saving Time Affects People with Dementia
- Lifelong Learning Virtual Experience: The Next Best Thing to Being at the Center
- Join us for Gala 2020: Unmasked
- Permission Granted: Time to Host the Perfectly Imperfect Wedding
- North Shore Senior Center Featured in Caregiving Magazine!
- What Does 'Medicare for All' Mean?
- Opening Day Slated for July 6!
- North Shore Senior Center Keeps Older Adults And Their Families Connected
- June 15 Update on Center Reopening
- An Open Letter from the Executive Director
- Initial Plans to Re-Open Center
- HSS & Sewa International Donate Masks to NSSC
- May 14 Update from the Executive Director
- The CARES Act Brings Many Changes for Individuals and Businesses
- May 7 Update from the Executive Director
- April 30 Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating our Volunteers and Senior & Family Services: A Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating Our Successes: A Message from the Executive Director
- Message from the Executive Director on HOW Programs
- Winnetka Talk: North Shore senior centers turn to technology to connect and entertain
- Message from the Executive Director
- An Update from our Executive Director & Free Online Classes
- A Note to the North Shore Senior Center Community
An Open Letter from the Executive DirectorJune 04, 2020
Dear Friends & Supporters,
I’m writing to you today with a heavy heart.
As I told the staff of North Shore Senior Center on Monday, I have personally struggled to find the right words to respond to the tragic killing of George Floyd and the subsequent protest movement that has spread throughout our country. But such moments do require words because silence is often just as loud.
Let me begin with the most important thing that I can say: The unjustified killings of George Floyd and countless others within communities of color are unconscionable.
The Center is a community organization. As such, we are nothing if not a reflection of the people we serve, the people who work here, and the people who support us. Right now, part of our community is in profound pain. I want you to know that we are here for you.
As they have with so many organizations, the past week’s events have us asking hard questions at the Center: How can we support one another? How can we seek to understand? How can we be a better version of the organization than we are today?
This self-reflection is exhausting and the difficult work is only just beginning. We will not pretend that we have all the answers. But here is the last thing I can definitively say: North Shore Senior Center is dedicated to doing the work required to ensure that every part of our community thrives. We will share this purpose, embrace diversity and take responsibility.
On behalf of the Center, I wish every person in our community the strength required to grieve, process, and reflect in the weeks ahead.
Tish Rudnicki, MSW