Counseling & Therapy
NSSC offers counseling and therapy to older adults and their families, individually and in groups. Licensed clinical social workers offer a variety of supportive and interactive strategies to help people improve specific situations and overall daily function.
New in 2023 is a program called Healthy IDEAS (Identifying Depression & Empowering Activities for Seniors). This is an evidence-based case management program that helps treat depression and anxiety following a five-step method that educates people and gives them practical steps to address their symptoms. Healthy IDEAS is offered at no cost to eligible older adults and adults with disabilities.
Counselors use a goal-oriented approach that is tailored to address situations experienced when aging. Counselors can help with:
- Anxiety and stress
- Isolation and loneliness
- Difficult relationships
- Grief and loss
- Adjusting to life changes, including retirement
- Coping with illness (your own or a family member's)
- Caregiver stress
- Enhancing well-being
Counseling and therapy services are usually covered by insurance, including Medicare.
- Services are offered for individuals 55 and older
- Medicare Part B and self-pay options are accepted
- Services are provided by experienced Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Short- and long-term therapy is available
- Services are available by appointment at NSSC's Northfield and Niles locations or virtually via telehealth