- 2022 Posts
+ 2021 Posts
- COVID-19 Vaccine & Booster Information
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Required to Enter NSSC Buildings
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Featured in Chicago Caregiving Magazine
- Treasures Await at The Shop's Clearance Sale
- "Indulge Your Holiday Guests with Local Treats!"
- Navigating the Holidays with a Family Member Living with Dementia
- NSSC Awarded Top Workplace Second Year in a Row
- "Treat Yourself to a Life-Changing Home Appliance"
- Just Start Walking
- Executive Director: Gala Postponed until Spring 2022
- Putting Your Right Shoe Forward
- Caregiver Specialists: Your Personal Guide Along Care Journey Path
- Executive Director: Face Coverings Required Starting August 2
- Why it's Important to Have a Will
- How to Get Started Refreshing Your Home
- "Senior Scams" featured in Caregiving magazine
- Executive Director: What you can expect at NSSC starting Jun 14
- The Shop at the Center: The North Shore's Best Kept Secret
- Bridge Phase Update: A Message from the Executive Director
- Do’s and Don’ts as You Re-Enter Stores
- Easing Their Way Back: How NSSC members are slowly returning to pre-pandemic normalcy
- Easing Your Way Back to Normal
- Ways Caregivers Can Strengthen Connections & Reduce Loneliness
- Medicare and COVID-19
- A Change in Seasons Can Bring a Change in Moods
- New Act Provides Relief for Pandemic Weary Individuals
- Something to Think About
- Do I Hear an Echo? Smart Home Devices Can Make Life Safer and Easier
- "Senior Financial Abuse" as featured in Caregiving Magazine
- Annual Report - FY20
- 2021 New Year Message from Executive Director
- "The U-Shaped Happiness Curve"
- "Everyone Has a Story to Tell. Are You Ready to Share Your Life Story?"
+ 2020 Posts
- "Maximize Your Personal Connections and Minimize the Holiday Blues"
- "Resilience & Aging"
- Self-Care Tips for the Family Caregiver
- Sharing Gratitude During Thanksgiving from Our Executive Director
- NSSC Awarded Chicago Top Workplace
- 'Exercise’ Your Commitment to Stay Fit During Pandemic
- How the End of Daylight Saving Time Affects People with Dementia
- Lifelong Learning Virtual Experience: The Next Best Thing to Being at the Center
- Join us for Gala 2020: Unmasked
- Permission Granted: Time to Host the Perfectly Imperfect Wedding
- North Shore Senior Center Featured in Caregiving Magazine!
- What Does 'Medicare for All' Mean?
- Opening Day Slated for July 6!
- North Shore Senior Center Keeps Older Adults And Their Families Connected
- June 15 Update on Center Reopening
- An Open Letter from the Executive Director
- Initial Plans to Re-Open Center
- HSS & Sewa International Donate Masks to NSSC
- May 14 Update from the Executive Director
- The CARES Act Brings Many Changes for Individuals and Businesses
- May 7 Update from the Executive Director
- April 30 Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating our Volunteers and Senior & Family Services: A Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating Our Successes: A Message from the Executive Director
- Message from the Executive Director on HOW Programs
- Winnetka Talk: North Shore senior centers turn to technology to connect and entertain
- Message from the Executive Director
- An Update from our Executive Director & Free Online Classes
- A Note to the North Shore Senior Center Community
Treasures Await at The Shop's Clearance SaleDecember 17, 2021
By Caron Blitz
For special treasures and unique, handmade gifts—many at greatly reduced prices during the January after-holiday clearance sale—look no farther than The Shop at the Center! As a one-time offer, mention this article and you will receive an extra 10% off your purchase.
Located just inside the entrance of North Shore Senior Center (NSSC), it’s easy to browse in the store or drop off donations.
“Our customers love The Shop and the great things they find here,” said Rose Carroll, who oversees The Shop and directs the Center’s arts and crafts programs. “They are always impressed with the quality of what we have and how nice everything looks. It is not your typical resale shop. We need people to spread the word about what a great place The Shop is for discovering unique treasures.”
Now Shop 24/7!
Rose pointed out popular items for sale including designer jewelry, paintings by well-known artists, classic glassware, vintage purses and finds for collectors such as a Millennium Bride Barbie doll. You can shop online to see new pieces added on a regular basis. Visit www.nssc.org and click on “The Shop.” Click away, pay online and get your purchases in-store or at curbside pick-up.
All sale proceeds directly benefit NSSC; so with each purchase, you directly empower older adults and their families. In 2021, The Shop raised $40,000 for funding toward the Center’s programming.
As the new year kicks off and you would like to lift the spirits of friends and families, here’s the perfect gift: Damnit It Dolls.
These hilarious dolls, each uniquely designed by Machiko in the Sewing Bees Club, comes with the following poem (great for anger management!):
When you think you want to climb the walls
Or stand right up and shout!
Here’s a little damnit doll you cannot do without;
Just grasp it firmly by the legs,
And find a place to slam it;
Then as you whack the stuffing out, say
DAMNIT! DAMNIT! Damnit! @#@%%!
Knitted Baby Sweaters and Blankets ($40 or Less!)
Soft, adorable baby sweaters and blankets hand-knitted by Judy and Bonnie make the perfect gifts to welcome special little folks into the world.
When you visit The Shop, remember to bring your much-appreciated donations. Please drop off your items at the Center’s Lifelong Learning office and kindly do not leave them in The Shop.
Donation Yes List
Drop off donations of the following new or gently used (preferably upscale) items during regular Shop hours (9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday through Friday):
• Vintage items
• Jewelry and accessories
• Home décor
Donation No List
Due to space limitations, the following cannot be accepted for donation:
• Computers and electronics
• Clothing and shoes
Shopping Is Easy and Safe
Safely shop The Shop. All visitors are required to wear masks and socially distance, and must show proof of vaccination upon entering the building.
The Shop at the Center
Hours: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday - Friday
161 Northfield Road, Northfield
As a 60+ Savvy Shopper living in Riverwoods, Caron Blitz gets what folks our age looks for in products and is always on the look-out for “fun finds” and the best values. For future columns, she'd love to hear what you, The Shopper, would like us to feature. If you are a retailer, let us know what special products and services you offer for older adults.