- 2018 Posts
- Caregiver Specialist Heather Resnick on Caregiver Support
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Center Launches North Shore Senior Options
- On Blindness, Alzheimer's and Love
- Shared Vision: Winnetka Congregational Church Woman's Society Benevolence Committee
- Protecting Seniors and Adults with Disabilities: Adult Protective Services
- A Jack of All Trades: Al Davis
- Family Tradition: Gone Fishin'
- Dedicated Volunteer: Fern Kamen
- Generous Soul: Mitchell Slotnick
- Assessing the Older Adult Members of your Family
- Giving Back: Fay Goldblatt
- Adult Protective Services (APS) Program Benefits from Shamrock Shindig
- Humble Beginnings: Bobbi Halloran
+ 2017 Posts
- Arts and Crafts at the Center
- #GivingTuesday at North Shore Senior Center
- Leisure Time Well Spent - Daytrips at the Center
- New Advisory Council Formed
- Playreading with Vivian Mitchel
- North Shore Senior Center's Foundation Board
- Wills vs. Trusts
- Joan Golder Distinguished Senior Lecture Series showcased actor Mike Nussbaum
- 20/20 Corporate Campaign
- Functional Fitness: Training for Everyday Life
- Benefits of Pet Therapy for People with Memory Loss
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Benefit from Oktoberfest
- Small Screen Big Stars: Oh What a Night!
- Sharing a Common Thread
- Helping You Make Informed Choices for Care
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Distinguished Community Partner
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Dedicated Corporation
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
- Special Needs Trusts
- Gifts in Kind Increase the Center's Impact
- Enrich your Life with Lifelong Learning
- A Little TLC Goes a Long Way
- PEARLS: Reducing Symptoms of Depression Home-based Counseling Services Available
- Big Stars to Chair Annual Benefit
- Evanston Community Foundation
- Million Dollar Round Table Foundation
- Super Senior Day
- New Physical Therapy Services Now Available at North Shore Senior Center!
- Stroke Prevention Tips
- Why Powers of Attorney are Important to You!
- Get Expert Help with Your Tax Returns
- North Shore Senior Center Awarded Gold Status for Philanthropic Efforts
- Fitness as a Goal for Life
- Men's Club Offers Unique Programs to Community
- Spread the Love at North Shore Senior Center
- Jean Griswold Foundation supports House of Welcome Adult Day Services
- "I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for people." - Maya Angelou
- "A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart." - Zeus from Hercules
- Winter Safety and Health Tips
- "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
- A Granddaughter's Love for her Grandmother
- Six Things to Consider Before Making Gifts to Grandchildren
- Lending Closet for Durable Medical Equipment at North Shore Senior Center
- Seniors Can Save Lives by Donating Blood
+ 2016 Posts
- Lifelong Learning Catalog Wins International Award for Best Brochure
- Life Stories are Gifts that Keep on Giving
- Visiting Aging Parents During the Holidays
- Edna Weber Garden of Light Wing at the House of Welcome
- Learn More About What Makes This World Tick
- 60 Years of Service: Advocacy
- 60 Years of Service: Compassion
- Myrna and John Cruikshank, III: Steady and Committed Philanthropists
- Kenilworth United Fund: Longstanding, Civic-Minded Community Partner
- Radford Green at Sedgebrook: Dedicated Corporation and Vested Supporter
- Simple Tips to Improve Your Balance
- 60 Years of Service: Creativity
- Daily Money Management Fosters Peace of Mind
- Opportunities for Learning, Exploring, and Connecting
- The Edna Weber "Garden of Light" Wing
- Protecting Vulnerable Seniors: Adult Protective Services Promotes Quality of Life
- Top Ten Reasons Why Older Adults Continue to Work
- Super Seniors We Admire!
- Scams and Fraud: Protect Yourself
- The State's Devastating Impact on Our Budget
- North Shore Senior Center Southern Hub Moves to Niles
- Alzheimer's Family Support Group
- Evanston Support Group for Family Caregivers
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Skokie
+ 2015 Posts
- Music + Dance + Dialogue = A Musical!
- Flex and Strengthen Your Muscles
- Generous & Caring Corporate Citizen
- More Than Service and Fellowship
- Art Gallery a "Hidden Gem" at North Shore Senior Center
- Sound Off on Hearing Loss
- Making Sense of American Poltics
- Fitness Center Enhances More Than Muscle Strength
- Virtual View of Art: From the Basics to Specialties
- Social Connections are a Key to Successful Aging
- North Shore Senior Center Celebrates Super Seniors!
- Super Senior Spotlight
- What is a Senior Center?
- MDRT Foundation Aids Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program
- Social Worker Reaches Out to Seniors in Need
- How to Achieve Your Healthiest Brain Yet
- AmazonSmile: Your Online Shopping Can Help NSSC!
+ 2014 Posts
Spread the Love at North Shore Senior CenterFebruary 14, 2017
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – A. A. Milne
Marc and June Michaelson have been together since 1953 and have imagined growing old together since the day they met. Like several couples, they were faced with the inevitable, which is aging. Aging can be fearful. We can have plans set up where we know what care we want, what actions we will take, what treatments we are willing to do, but then . . . it actually happens. Suddenly you’re facing something new, something you can’t just get rid of and you don’t know where to turn for help. You start feeling depressed, overwhelmed and scared. Scared of the bills, scared of the final result, and most of all, scared you will lose your soul mate.
This “something new” can come in many different forms. Maybe it’s dementia, or cancer, or even pneumonia. It’s how we cope in the moment that will get us through those difficult times. Marc and June were stricken with the inevitable struggles of aging which left Marc as the caregiver for June. Marc expressed, “Oftentimes it’s not really [if you] want to become a caregiver, but you have to be a caregiver.”
Through care-giving for chronic conditions, people are watching a family member or loved one get worse, not better. Increased needs for those suffering means the caregivers have increased needs as well.
“I didn’t really know how to be a caregiver — I know how to change the washers and a light bulb and crawl on a step ladder, but the rest of keeping us alive was very difficult," said Marc.
It’s important to realize you’re never alone. You’re never alone in any stage of you or your loved one’s aging process. North Shore Senior Center provides an array of activities throughout the year that are designed for different stages of aging.
Some programs North Shore Senior Center provides in our Caregiver Resource Center, Powerful Tools for Caregivers, Caregiver Support Groups, Gap-Filling Funds, Supportive Counseling and Respite Care.
Marc explained that “the support groups are wonderful for me because I can say things to this group of people that I would not say to anybody else on the outside. They all have similar problems. They understand what I’m going through.” Marc added, “It’s nice to know I’m not singled out on the worries I have with successfully taking care of [my loved one].”
North Shore Senior Center’s Caregiver Support Groups offer a unique opportunity to meet with other caregivers. They get to talk with other caregivers who are doing very similar things, and they help each other with solutions to problems. Caregiver Support Groups are extremely important for the well-being of caregivers and their loved ones; it’s truly a very difficult position to be in, and the more help one can get, the better.
June said, “It’s brought us together in the sense that we are doing things together.”
This Valentine’s Day, please help North Shore Senior Center spread the love by doing little acts of kindness. Next time you’re in the Center say hello to that person you always see playing Ping-Pong, chat with a staff member, or discover the story behind that item that catches your eye from Mim's Shop at the Center. You never know what someone is going through, but no matter what it is, North Shore Senior Center is here to help you get through life with as much ease as possible.
To watch Marc and June Michaelson’s full story, please visit https://youtu.be/IpBl0nKSxaM.