- 2021 Posts
- "Indulge Your Holiday Guests with Local Treats!"
- Navigating the Holidays with a Family Member Living with Dementia
- NSSC Awarded Top Workplace Second Year in a Row
- "Treat Yourself to a Life-Changing Home Appliance"
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Just Start Walking
- Executive Director: Gala Postponed until Spring 2022
- Caregiver Specialists: Your Personal Guide Along Care Journey Path
- Putting Your Right Shoe Forward
- Executive Director: Face Coverings Required Starting August 2
- How to Get Started Refreshing Your Home
- Why it's Important to Have a Will
- "Senior Scams" featured in Caregiving magazine
- Executive Director: What you can expect at NSSC starting Jun 14
- The Shop at the Center: The North Shore's Best Kept Secret
- Bridge Phase Update: A Message from the Executive Director
- Do’s and Don’ts as You Re-Enter Stores
- Easing Their Way Back: How NSSC members are slowly returning to pre-pandemic normalcy
- Medicare and COVID-19
- Ways Caregivers Can Strengthen Connections & Reduce Loneliness
- Easing Your Way Back to Normal
- A Change in Seasons Can Bring a Change in Moods
- New Act Provides Relief for Pandemic Weary Individuals
- Something to Think About
- Do I Hear an Echo? Smart Home Devices Can Make Life Safer and Easier
- "Senior Financial Abuse" as featured in Caregiving Magazine
- Annual Report - FY20
- 2021 New Year Message from Executive Director
- "The U-Shaped Happiness Curve"
- "Everyone Has a Story to Tell. Are You Ready to Share Your Life Story?"
+ 2020 Posts
- "Maximize Your Personal Connections and Minimize the Holiday Blues"
- "Resilience & Aging"
- Self-Care Tips for the Family Caregiver
- Sharing Gratitude During Thanksgiving from Our Executive Director
- NSSC Awarded Chicago Top Workplace
- 'Exercise’ Your Commitment to Stay Fit During Pandemic
- How the End of Daylight Saving Time Affects People with Dementia
- Lifelong Learning Virtual Experience: The Next Best Thing to Being at the Center
- Join us for Gala 2020: Unmasked
- Permission Granted: Time to Host the Perfectly Imperfect Wedding
- North Shore Senior Center Featured in Caregiving Magazine!
- What Does 'Medicare for All' Mean?
- Opening Day Slated for July 6!
- North Shore Senior Center Keeps Older Adults And Their Families Connected
- June 15 Update on Center Reopening
- An Open Letter from the Executive Director
- Initial Plans to Re-Open Center
- HSS & Sewa International Donate Masks to NSSC
- May 14 Update from the Executive Director
- The CARES Act Brings Many Changes for Individuals and Businesses
- May 7 Update from the Executive Director
- April 30 Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating our Volunteers and Senior & Family Services: A Message from the Executive Director
- Celebrating Our Successes: A Message from the Executive Director
- Message from the Executive Director on HOW Programs
- Winnetka Talk: North Shore senior centers turn to technology to connect and entertain
- Message from the Executive Director
- An Update from our Executive Director & Free Online Classes
- A Note to the North Shore Senior Center Community
"Indulge Your Holiday Guests with Local Treats!"November 22, 2021
by Caron Blitz
Are you hosting holiday events and want to know the best places to find delicious treats to serve your guests? Check out these local places offering a cornucopia of menus. Here’s a sampling from each:
Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Lake Forest
Party trays look good and taste even better.
• Fruit and cheese
• Beef tenderloin
• Poached salmon
• Roll sandwich
• Lox and bagel
• Signature pastry
Evanston, Northbrook, Deerfield
Set the stage for an epic meal with crowd pleasing appetizers:
• Shrimp trio platter
• Goat cheese-stuffed mushrooms
• Chicken cordon bleu poppers
• Butternut mac and cheese croquettes
• Spinach artichoke puffs
• Honey chipotle turkey cocktail meatballs
Northbrook, Highland Park, Lake Forest
Let Sunset do the work with an array of tasty entrées:
• Grilled beef tenderloin
• Chicken breasts or salmon
• Chicken parmigiana
• Lemon chicken cutlets
• Sunset Spa spinach stuffed salmon
• Truffled macaroni and cheese
Enhance your event with an on-site sushi chef or order:
• Teriyaki entrées or sushi trays including maki, sashimi and an assortment of rolls
One-stop packages are easy and delicious:
• Roasted chicken
• Baby back ribs
• Homemade gyros
Glenview, Northbrook, Highland Park, Lake Forest
Not only is Lou’s a favorite, their catering is known to be accurate and on-time:
• Thick or thin pizza
• Chicken wings
• The famous Lou Malnati salad
From a deconstructed taco bar at your home to simply takeout, choose from tantalizing tacos, soups, guacamole, and grilled Mexican street corn (elotes!).
Northbrook, Highland Park
It’s never too cold for DQ. Treat guests to mini Blizzards or specially decorated cakes.
Three Tarts Bakery
Mouth-watering desserts are a perfect finish to a perfect meal:
• Cakes of all kinds, from carrot to chocolate mousse
• Savory breads ranging from Portillo & Fontina stirato to Sicilian tomato flatbread
No special occasion meal is complete without Cora Lee’s world-famous English toffee. A close second are chocolate treats including Grumpies and Barque.
Long Grove Confectionery Outlet
A best kept secret for decadent candies at incredible prices is this nearby outlet.
As a 60+ Savvy Shopper living in Riverwoods, Caron Blitz gets what folks our age looks for in products and is always on the look-out for “fun finds” and the best values. For future columns, she’d love to hear what you,The Shopper, would like us to feature. If you are a retailer, let us know what special products and services you offer for older adults. Email: SavvyShopperColumn@gmail.com