- 2018 Posts
- Caregiver Specialist Heather Resnick on Caregiver Support
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Center Launches North Shore Senior Options
- On Blindness, Alzheimer's and Love
- Shared Vision: Winnetka Congregational Church Woman's Society Benevolence Committee
- Protecting Seniors and Adults with Disabilities: Adult Protective Services
- A Jack of All Trades: Al Davis
- Family Tradition: Gone Fishin'
- Dedicated Volunteer: Fern Kamen
- Generous Soul: Mitchell Slotnick
- Assessing the Older Adult Members of your Family
- Giving Back: Fay Goldblatt
- Adult Protective Services (APS) Program Benefits from Shamrock Shindig
- Humble Beginnings: Bobbi Halloran
+ 2017 Posts
- Arts and Crafts at the Center
- #GivingTuesday at North Shore Senior Center
- Leisure Time Well Spent - Daytrips at the Center
- New Advisory Council Formed
- Playreading with Vivian Mitchel
- North Shore Senior Center's Foundation Board
- Wills vs. Trusts
- Joan Golder Distinguished Senior Lecture Series showcased actor Mike Nussbaum
- 20/20 Corporate Campaign
- Functional Fitness: Training for Everyday Life
- Benefits of Pet Therapy for People with Memory Loss
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Benefit from Oktoberfest
- Small Screen Big Stars: Oh What a Night!
- Sharing a Common Thread
- Helping You Make Informed Choices for Care
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Distinguished Community Partner
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Dedicated Corporation
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
- Special Needs Trusts
- Gifts in Kind Increase the Center's Impact
- Enrich your Life with Lifelong Learning
- A Little TLC Goes a Long Way
- PEARLS: Reducing Symptoms of Depression Home-based Counseling Services Available
- Big Stars to Chair Annual Benefit
- Evanston Community Foundation
- Million Dollar Round Table Foundation
- Super Senior Day
- New Physical Therapy Services Now Available at North Shore Senior Center!
- Stroke Prevention Tips
- Why Powers of Attorney are Important to You!
- Get Expert Help with Your Tax Returns
- North Shore Senior Center Awarded Gold Status for Philanthropic Efforts
- Fitness as a Goal for Life
- Men's Club Offers Unique Programs to Community
- Spread the Love at North Shore Senior Center
- Jean Griswold Foundation supports House of Welcome Adult Day Services
- "I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for people." - Maya Angelou
- "A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart." - Zeus from Hercules
- Winter Safety and Health Tips
- "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
- A Granddaughter's Love for her Grandmother
- Six Things to Consider Before Making Gifts to Grandchildren
- Lending Closet for Durable Medical Equipment at North Shore Senior Center
- Seniors Can Save Lives by Donating Blood
+ 2016 Posts
- Lifelong Learning Catalog Wins International Award for Best Brochure
- Life Stories are Gifts that Keep on Giving
- Visiting Aging Parents During the Holidays
- Edna Weber Garden of Light Wing at the House of Welcome
- Learn More About What Makes This World Tick
- 60 Years of Service: Advocacy
- 60 Years of Service: Compassion
- Myrna and John Cruikshank, III: Steady and Committed Philanthropists
- Kenilworth United Fund: Longstanding, Civic-Minded Community Partner
- Radford Green at Sedgebrook: Dedicated Corporation and Vested Supporter
- Simple Tips to Improve Your Balance
- 60 Years of Service: Creativity
- Daily Money Management Fosters Peace of Mind
- Opportunities for Learning, Exploring, and Connecting
- The Edna Weber "Garden of Light" Wing
- Protecting Vulnerable Seniors: Adult Protective Services Promotes Quality of Life
- Top Ten Reasons Why Older Adults Continue to Work
- Super Seniors We Admire!
- Scams and Fraud: Protect Yourself
- The State's Devastating Impact on Our Budget
- North Shore Senior Center Southern Hub Moves to Niles
- Alzheimer's Family Support Group
- Evanston Support Group for Family Caregivers
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Skokie
+ 2015 Posts
- Music + Dance + Dialogue = A Musical!
- Flex and Strengthen Your Muscles
- Generous & Caring Corporate Citizen
- More Than Service and Fellowship
- Art Gallery a "Hidden Gem" at North Shore Senior Center
- Sound Off on Hearing Loss
- Making Sense of American Poltics
- Fitness Center Enhances More Than Muscle Strength
- Virtual View of Art: From the Basics to Specialties
- Social Connections are a Key to Successful Aging
- North Shore Senior Center Celebrates Super Seniors!
- Super Senior Spotlight
- What is a Senior Center?
- MDRT Foundation Aids Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program
- Social Worker Reaches Out to Seniors in Need
- How to Achieve Your Healthiest Brain Yet
- AmazonSmile: Your Online Shopping Can Help NSSC!
+ 2014 Posts
Center Launches North Shore Senior OptionsMarch 23, 2018
In an effort to remain on the cutting edge of older adult care, North Shore Senior Center has taken an unprecedented step in becoming a leader of comprehensive care for seniors in the Chicagoland area. The Center’s life care management program, CareOptions, has added critical services and been rebranded to connect more closely with the well-known and respected North Shore Senior Center name. North Shore Senior Options was carefully designed to focus specifically on the expansive needs of older adults to maintain the maximum quality of life.
Jordan Luhr, executive director of North Shore Senior Center explains: “With North Shore Senior Options we have created, in one place, a unique set of services developed explicitly for older adults. We are providing more options now than ever before with the additions of behavioral health, guardianship and nursing expertise. This suite of services is unparalleled to anything else offered in the communities we serve.”
North Shore Senior Options is its own 501(c)(3), giving it heightened visibility in the community and the ability to fundraise on its own behalf. Still under the North Shore Senior Center umbrella, yet its own entity, Senior Options is critical to the Center’s future and provides a new focus on responding to the ever-increasing needs of seniors and their families.
Overseeing Senior Options is Director Elizabeth “Liz” Gordon, Ph.D., who previously served as director of Senior and Family Services for the Niles office for nine years before becoming director of Senior Options last year. “With her many years of experience at the Center as a director, counselor and care manager, Liz is a perfect fit to spearhead this new, important aspect of the Center,” said Jordan. Before joining North Shore Senior Center, Liz was vice president and chief academic officer at Advocate Health Care, and earlier served as associate professor of pediatrics and director of research at the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University.
Liz noted: “The name change to North Shore Senior Options is fundamental as we move forward in establishing new partnerships with hospitals, financial institutions, legal entities and the community at large, who are already familiar with the North Shore Senior Center name.”
Liz and her specialized team work closely with seniors and their families to ensure they are knowledgeable about all of the resources available to them. They start with a no-cost initial consultation, during which they learn about the client’s situation, explain services, and review fees. North Shore Senior Options offers the following services:
- Guardianship: This newest service is court-appointed and protects people with cognitive disabilities, including Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Guardianship can be appointed to a person who lacks sufficient understanding or capacity to make responsible decisions concerning themselves. It can also be designated to an estate if one is unable to manage his or her financial affairs. “This essential service allows North Shore Senior Options to serve as guardian of a person and/or an estate. As guardian, we act as advocate, surrogate decision-maker and coordinator of services. Our main goal is to encourage as much independence as possible while ensuring protection from abuse, exploitation and neglect,” explained Liz. Specifically, as guardian of a person, Senior Options makes healthcare decisions and coordinates living, health and personal care services for the individual. As estate guardian, Senior Options manages income, assets, bills and debt as well as other financial transactions.
- Nursing Expertise: Experienced nursing support is available to provide consultations on clients’ medical needs.
- Behavioral Health Services: Licensed clinical social workers provide in-office and in-home counseling to seniors experiencing depression, anxiety, caregiver distress or loss.
- Senior Care Management: Care managers provide personalized assessments and care plans that meet the client’s current and future needs, and serve as an extra pair of eyes and ears between the client, family and caregiver.
- Home Safety: Trained staff conduct thorough room-to-room inspections designed to identify safety issues, such as accessibility, flooring, stairways, furniture placement and lighting. Recommendations are provided to improve function and safety in the home.
- Money Management: Professional money managers assist with overseeing mail, organizing paperwork and paying bills. They also help with filing taxes, managing financial accounts and identifying potential fraudulent situations.
“We now have a more global network of diverse offerings with the Center, the House of Welcome and, now, North Shore Senior Options. Being able to offer this continuum of care that didn’t exist in our area before now solidifies the Center’s place as a leading expert on complete senior care," said Jordan.
To find out more about North Shore Senior Options services, visit www.northshoresenioroptions.org or call 847.242.6270.