- 2018 Posts
- Caregiver Specialist Heather Resnick on Caregiver Support
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Center Launches North Shore Senior Options
- On Blindness, Alzheimer's and Love
- Shared Vision: Winnetka Congregational Church Woman's Society Benevolence Committee
- Protecting Seniors and Adults with Disabilities: Adult Protective Services
- A Jack of All Trades: Al Davis
- Family Tradition: Gone Fishin'
- Dedicated Volunteer: Fern Kamen
- Generous Soul: Mitchell Slotnick
- Assessing the Older Adult Members of your Family
- Giving Back: Fay Goldblatt
- Adult Protective Services (APS) Program Benefits from Shamrock Shindig
- Humble Beginnings: Bobbi Halloran
+ 2017 Posts
- Arts and Crafts at the Center
- #GivingTuesday at North Shore Senior Center
- Leisure Time Well Spent - Daytrips at the Center
- New Advisory Council Formed
- Playreading with Vivian Mitchel
- North Shore Senior Center's Foundation Board
- Wills vs. Trusts
- Joan Golder Distinguished Senior Lecture Series showcased actor Mike Nussbaum
- 20/20 Corporate Campaign
- Functional Fitness: Training for Everyday Life
- Benefits of Pet Therapy for People with Memory Loss
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Benefit from Oktoberfest
- Small Screen Big Stars: Oh What a Night!
- Sharing a Common Thread
- Helping You Make Informed Choices for Care
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Distinguished Community Partner
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Dedicated Corporation
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
- Special Needs Trusts
- Gifts in Kind Increase the Center's Impact
- Enrich your Life with Lifelong Learning
- A Little TLC Goes a Long Way
- PEARLS: Reducing Symptoms of Depression Home-based Counseling Services Available
- Big Stars to Chair Annual Benefit
- Evanston Community Foundation
- Million Dollar Round Table Foundation
- Super Senior Day
- New Physical Therapy Services Now Available at North Shore Senior Center!
- Stroke Prevention Tips
- Why Powers of Attorney are Important to You!
- Get Expert Help with Your Tax Returns
- North Shore Senior Center Awarded Gold Status for Philanthropic Efforts
- Fitness as a Goal for Life
- Men's Club Offers Unique Programs to Community
- Spread the Love at North Shore Senior Center
- Jean Griswold Foundation supports House of Welcome Adult Day Services
- "I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for people." - Maya Angelou
- "A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart." - Zeus from Hercules
- Winter Safety and Health Tips
- "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
- A Granddaughter's Love for her Grandmother
- Six Things to Consider Before Making Gifts to Grandchildren
- Lending Closet for Durable Medical Equipment at North Shore Senior Center
- Seniors Can Save Lives by Donating Blood
+ 2016 Posts
- Lifelong Learning Catalog Wins International Award for Best Brochure
- Life Stories are Gifts that Keep on Giving
- Visiting Aging Parents During the Holidays
- Edna Weber Garden of Light Wing at the House of Welcome
- Learn More About What Makes This World Tick
- 60 Years of Service: Advocacy
- 60 Years of Service: Compassion
- Myrna and John Cruikshank, III: Steady and Committed Philanthropists
- Kenilworth United Fund: Longstanding, Civic-Minded Community Partner
- Radford Green at Sedgebrook: Dedicated Corporation and Vested Supporter
- Simple Tips to Improve Your Balance
- 60 Years of Service: Creativity
- Daily Money Management Fosters Peace of Mind
- Opportunities for Learning, Exploring, and Connecting
- The Edna Weber "Garden of Light" Wing
- Protecting Vulnerable Seniors: Adult Protective Services Promotes Quality of Life
- Top Ten Reasons Why Older Adults Continue to Work
- Super Seniors We Admire!
- Scams and Fraud: Protect Yourself
- The State's Devastating Impact on Our Budget
- North Shore Senior Center Southern Hub Moves to Niles
- Alzheimer's Family Support Group
- Evanston Support Group for Family Caregivers
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Skokie
+ 2015 Posts
- Music + Dance + Dialogue = A Musical!
- Flex and Strengthen Your Muscles
- Generous & Caring Corporate Citizen
- More Than Service and Fellowship
- Art Gallery a "Hidden Gem" at North Shore Senior Center
- Sound Off on Hearing Loss
- Making Sense of American Poltics
- Fitness Center Enhances More Than Muscle Strength
- Virtual View of Art: From the Basics to Specialties
- Social Connections are a Key to Successful Aging
- North Shore Senior Center Celebrates Super Seniors!
- Super Senior Spotlight
- What is a Senior Center?
- MDRT Foundation Aids Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program
- Social Worker Reaches Out to Seniors in Need
- How to Achieve Your Healthiest Brain Yet
- AmazonSmile: Your Online Shopping Can Help NSSC!
+ 2014 Posts
"A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart." - Zeus from HerculesJanuary 25, 2017
Retained by the City of Chicago Department of Aging to rewrite the State of Illinois Elder Abuse and Neglect Act, and co-author of the book, Alzheimer’s and the Law, published by the American Bar Association, Kerry Peck of Peck Ritchey, LLC has spent the better part of 30 years as an Elder Law Attorney.
“My area of passion and practice of law for the past three decades has been to educate the community,” he shared. Thinking he’d be a great resource to North Shore Senior Center, Kerry connected with the Center a few years ago and has been involved ever since.
“You can’t live on the North Shore and be unaware of the great accomplishments of North Shore Senior Center. As a Baby Boomer myself, I am very familiar with the programming and appreciate the guidance and services that the staff offers the entire community. The Senior Center is like one-stop shopping, one call does it all,” Kerry commented.
Kerry is one of the reasons the Center continues to be a vital resource—Kerry’s influence spans many roles: from lecturing at a Financial Wellness Breakfast and Brew to educating the public in the quarterlyprinted Juncture, where he takes the time to reply to inquiries on estate planning and scams targeted to the elderly in his column “Ask an Attorney,” to assisting the Center’s Adult Protective Services team as an advocate.
“To me, a hero is a reliable leader in the community,” Kerry shared. “Someone others can turn to for guidance and help. Someone who makes the community feel like they’re in good hands. The staff at North Shore Senior Center is extraordinary. People don’t always realize the top-flight services and assistance staff offers to the community. I take tremendous pride in being involved with this organization.”
In turn, North Shore Senior Center considers Kerry to be an everyday hero. When working with older adults, he takes into account each individual person and empathizes with some of the physical and mental difficulties that often accompany the aging process. His understanding of the real-life problems of people as they age allows him to determine more easily the difference between the physical versus the mental disability of a client.
One such case included a caregiver who persuaded the man for whom she worked that he needed to buy a brand new BMW SUV so she could drive him to and from doctor appointments, even though the gentleman already had a driveable car, and could not get in and out of the SUV easily. Kerry stepped in and prevented the caregiver from further access to his financial accounts. “In a lot of cases, you see the culprit isolating the elder from the family, cutting off normal relationships,” Kerry shared.“It’s about control and isolation. That’s why I love being affiliated with this field. I want to prevent this from happening as much as possible, and if, unfortunately, something like this does occur, I can step in and often turn it around.”