Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities are posted on this page for those who seek different ways to assist the older adults who participate in the programs, services, and activities offered by North Shore Senior Center. Our more than 500 volunteers provide countless hours of support to keep the Center vibrant and working efficiently. So, please join us as a volunteer!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – JUNE 2017
- Senior and Family Services, Office Administrative Assistance (opportunities in Niles and Northfield): Help out at our Senior and Families Services offices in Niles or Northfield. In our Niles office, a volunteer is needed for 8 hours per week (flexible, time can be split between two 4-hour time periods) to contact clients by phone for well-being checks, enter client survey data into the computer, and other office support, e.g. copying forms, mailings. Volunteer must be comfortable using the phone and computer programs, talking to the public, and working with the Case Managers in our Niles office. Volunteers are also needed for filing and other office clerical work at our Northfield location.
- Social Services Phone Support: We are looking for a volunteer to assist at the Social Services Reception Desk answering phones on an as needed basis. Computer skills are not needed for this position; a pleasant demeanor, good customer service skills, and dependability are the traits we are looking for.
- Lifelong Learning Front Desk Volunteer: The Lifelong Learning Department is looking for a volunteer to sit at the front desk on an as needed basis. This person would assist customers by answering questions and providing information about programs and membership. All information would be accessed in the computer, so computer skills are required.
- Lunch Volunteers for House of Welcome: House of Welcome (HOW) is looking for volunteers to assist during our daily lunchtime from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. This would entail helping serve lunch to HOW participants, interacting with them and striking up a conversation. Volunteer hours are flexible and training is provided, if you do not have previous experience. Additional hours are available if requested.
- Hot Dog Day Set-Up Volunteer: We are looking for 1-2 volunteers to help prepare and set up for the Men's Club Hot Dog Day that takes place on the second Tuesday of each month. Set up duties would take place from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Volunteers must be comfortable moving kitchen and serving items and standing for an extended period of time while working with hot food.
- Pet Therapy for House of Welcome: The House of Welcome (HOW), an adult day services program of the North Shore Senior Center, serves older adults living with memory loss, usually Alzheimer's disease, and provides a structured group program of therapeutic activities Monday through Friday. To enhance programming, we are looking for pet therapy volunteers to visit HOW once or twice a month, or weekly, arriving around 2:45-3:00 p.m. to visit about 30 minutes each time. We ask that all volunteers commit to at least a year. Information and training about our program's specific needs will be provided.
Escorted Transportation Service Coordinator: We seek 1-2 Escorted Transportation Service (ETS) Coordinators to join our team. Volunteer from the comfort of your own home in this flexible role as a Coordinator. Coordinate rides for appreciative seniors to and from medical appointments. Coordinators must have access to and be comfortable using a phone and computer, demonstrate effective communication skills, and demonstrate good organizational skills and attention to detail. Coordinators rotate for 2-week shifts. During a shift, coordinators are responsible for checking a voice mailbox where riders request rides and then reach out to our pool of volunteer drivers to find available drivers.
Escorted Transportation Service Drivers: Transport seniors in your personal vehicle to and from medical and dental appointments. Help with this critical need while enjoying the company of an appreciative senior. Drivers are especially needed in the Evanston, Skokie, Morton Grove areas.
House of Welcome Program Assistants: Make a difference in the lives of persons with memory loss by interacting with participants in the home-like setting of the House of Welcome Adult Day Services Program. You will assist with scheduled activities or spend time one-on-one with participants. No previous experience required. You can start by observing and then we’ll provide training. We ask volunteers to commit to a morning or afternoon shift once per week.
Niles Senior and Family Services Office: Help out at our Senior and Family Services office in Niles. A volunteer is needed for 8 hours per week (flexible, time can be split between two 4-hour time periods) to contact clients by phone for well-being checks, enter client survey data into the computer, and other office support, e.g. copying forms, mailings. Volunteer must be comfortable using the phone and computer programs, talking to the public, and working with the Case Managers in our Niles office. Volunteers are also needed for filing and other office clerical work.
Sewing Bees: We are looking for a volunteer who is proficient on the sewing machine to work in our Sewing Bee group that meets on Fridays. The group makes things that are sold in Mim’s Shop at the Center. This is a very cordial group that has a fun time together, meeting from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at the Center, breaking to enjoy lunch together. There is flexibility in the amount of time you attend so if your schedule doesn’t allow you to join us on Fridays, you could sew at home. We have sewing machines for use at the Center, or if you prefer, you can bring your own machine. You do have to be a member of NSSC to belong to the Sewing Bees volunteer group.
- Welcome Desk Volunteer: Greet members and visitors to North Shore Senior Center at the Welcome Desk; you are the first face they see when visiting. Help people navigate the building, tell them about that day's programming, and answer any questions they might have. Volunteers are needed for Monday and Wednesday mornings.
- Contact the Volunteer Office to learn more! 847.784.6063