Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities are posted on this page for those who seek different ways to assist the older adults who participate in the programs, services, and activities offered by North Shore Senior Center. Our more than 300 volunteers provide countless hours of support to keep the Center vibrant and working efficiently. So, please join us as a volunteer!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – APRIL 2018
- Sign-In Assistant: Volunteers are needed directly outside the Cohn Auditorium to assist with signing in individuals who have registered to attend presentations. Once sign-in is complete, the volunteer is welcome to attend the presentation. We are seeking friendly volunteers who will greet participants and are detail-oriented.
- Social Services Administration Phone Support: We are looking for a volunteer to assist at the Social Services Reception Desk answering phones on an as-needed basis. Computer skills are not needed for this position. A pleasant demeanor, good customer service skills, and dependability are the traits we are looking for.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Be part of the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program and assist the childcare specialists with childcare. Volunteers are needed once a month from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. at the Levy Senior Center in Evanston to assist with snack time, crafts and clean up. We are seeking volunteers who have a desire to work with children and are available once a month. Dinner will be included. To learn more, please contact the volunteer office.
- Intake Assistant: Help our busy Intake Team in the Northfield Senior and Family Services office with paperwork assistance. We are seeking volunteers who have strong attention to detail, are comfortable with repetition, and have an interest in being exposed to Senior and Family Services.
- Mim's Shop at the Center: Mim's Shop is seeking volunteers to provide customer service, man the check-out station, and help prep donated items to be placed for sale. Volunteers are needed on an as-needed basis.
- Niles Senior and Family Services, Office Administrative Assistance: In our Niles office, a volunteer is needed for 8 hours per week (flexible, time can be split between two 4-hour time periods) to contact clients by phone for monthly check-ins, enter client survey data into the computer, and other office support, e.g. copying forms, mailings. Volunteer must be comfortable using the phone and computer programs, talking to the public, and working with the Case Managers in our Niles office.
- Lifelong Learning Front Desk Volunteer: The Lifelong Learning Department is seeking a volunteer to assist with department operational and administrative tasks. Responsibilities include: prepare New Member packets, assist with preparation of mailings, filing, and program reminder/update/cancellation calls.
- Pet Therapy for House of Welcome: The House of Welcome (HOW), an adult day services program of the North Shore Senior Center, serves older adults living with memory loss, usually Alzheimer's disease, and provides a structured group program of therapeutic activities Monday through Friday. To enhance programming, we are looking for pet therapy volunteers to visit HOW once or twice a month, or weekly, arriving around 2:45-3:00 p.m. to visit about 30 minutes each time. We ask that all volunteers commit to at least a year. Information and training about our program's specific needs will be provided.
- Escorted Transportation Service Coordinator: We seek 1-2 Escorted Transportation Service (ETS) Coordinators to join our team. Volunteer from the comfort of your own home in this flexible role as a Coordinator. Coordinate rides for appreciative seniors to and from medical appointments. Coordinators must have access to and be comfortable using a phone and computer, demonstrate effective communication skills, and demonstrate good organizational skills and attention to detail. Coordinators rotate for 2-week shifts. During a shift, coordinators are responsible for checking a voice mailbox where riders request rides and then reach out to our pool of volunteer drivers to find available drivers.
- Escorted Transportation Service Drivers: Transport seniors in your personal vehicle to and from medical and dental appointments. Help with this critical need while enjoying the company of an appreciative senior. Drivers are especially needed in the Evanston, Skokie, Morton Grove areas.
House of Welcome Program Assistants: Make a difference in the lives of persons with memory loss by interacting with participants in the home-like setting of the House of Welcome Adult Day Services Program. You will assist with scheduled activities or spend time one-on-one with participants. No previous experience required. You can start by observing and then we’ll provide training. We ask volunteers to commit to a morning or afternoon shift once per week.
Welcome Desk Volunteer: Greet members and visitors to North Shore Senior Center at the Welcome Desk; you are the first face they see when visiting. Help people navigate the building, tell them about that day's programming, and answer any questions they might have. Volunteers are needed Monday mornings, Friday mornings, and Wednesday afternoons.