National Volunteer Week
National Volunteer Week is an opportunity to recognize and thank volunteers who lend their time, talent, voice and support to causes they care about in their community. Their stories can serve to inspire others to find ways to take action that creates change. National Volunteer Week was established in 1974 and has grown exponentially each year, with thousands of volunteer projects and special events scheduled
throughout the week.
North Shore Senior Center will be celebrating National Volunteer Week by hosting special activities for our volunteers, which will take place from April 25 — April 27 at the Center’s Northfield Campus.
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Blood Pressure and Balance Screenings. Get your blood pressure read and your balance test completed in the Fitness Center. Please register at 847.784.6003.
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. North Shore Country Day School Upper Class Choir performs for our volunteers.
- 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. Hole-In-One Golf Tournament. There will be a golf green set up and we provide a right and left hand putter, but feel free to bring in your own putter. First place will receive a prize. Please register at 847.784.6052.
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. Guest Speaker, Aaron Greenberg, Ph. D. in English from Northwestern University, discusses "History of Meanings of Life."
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Tea' N Paint. An instructor will guide guests through their painting, while laughing and enjoying tea. There is a limited number of volunteers for the class. Please register at 847.784.6052.
- 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. Goldenaires Performance. This choir is very popular and their group performance is always a great time!
- 2:00 - 4:30 p.m. Trivia. The trivia theme will be on the 1970's, 80's, and 90's. Groups of 1-4 can play. There will be first, second and third place prizes.
Thursday, April 27, 2017
- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Yoga. Attend a beginner-level gentle yoga class with instructor Dorothy Hemming. Please register at 847.784.6052.
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. John Ludy Performance. This world class entertainment act performs songs of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett and more.
- 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. Lunch. Please join our staff and fellow volunteers for lunch as a thank you for all you do. First 50 RSVP's get entered into an exclusive raffle. Please register at 847.784.6052.
- 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Herb and Flower Planting Class. Come make your own planting pot. First seven RSVP's get a mini garden shovel and rake. Please register at 847.784.6052.
Special thanks to our sponsors: Aperion Care Highwood and Brookdale Senior Living for making this week of celebrations possible.Back to Blogs